Intro 2 Hockey
Introduce your son or daughter to Canada's favorite game, in a fun, supportive environment under the watchful eye of our best Ottawa Senators Hockey Programs instructors.
The Intro 2 Hockey program is designed to teach fundamental hockey skills to your son or daughter, in order to ensure they are ready for their first year of hockey. Each player will receive instruction that will increase their confidence on the ice and familiarize them with all aspects of the game. Our lesson plans are designed to be FUN for all participants and feature great instructor-to-participant ratios in order to ensure proper support for all players!
We believe that perfection and excellence comes through repetition and as such all subsequent sessions while following the same basic program outline and structure will focus on, with new drills and other small variations, the same basic course outline.
Please note that students enrolled in the Intro 2 Hockey program are expected to meet minimum skill and ability requirements. Participants MUST be able to stand and propel themselves around the ice as well as be able to fall and get back up to a standing position without assistance.
- Spring Session 2 - May to June
- Bell Sensplex: Mondays at 5:00 p.m & 6:00 p.m. or Tuesdays at 5:15 p.m.- MORE SPACES ADDED
- Richraft Sensplex: Tuesdays at 5:15 p.m. May - June
- Ages 4+ (3 year olds are also eligible, subject to review of skating abilities)
- Full equipment required
- Cost: $259
- Sparty Learn 2 Skate graduates younger than 4 years old are eligible to register if minimum skating requirements are met (subject to review)
SPRING 2018 - *NEW* Combined Intro 2 Hockey option available, see below!
Spring Session 2 - May to June
Six-week session: $195
*NEW* OPTION 1: Monday 5:00 p.m
- Monday May
23**, 28, June 4, 11, 18, 25 - Click here to register now - this session is pro-rated
- **Please note there is no class on Monday May 21 (Victoria Day). Class is on Wednesday May 23, at 4:15 PM.
*NEW* OPTION 2: Monday 6:00 p.m
- Monday May
23**, 28, June 4, 11, 18, 25 - Click here to join the waitlist - SOLD OUT, Register for the Intro 2 Hockey Summer Camp
- **Please note there is no class on Monday May 21 (Victoria Day). Class is on Wednesday May 23, at 5:15 PM.
OPTION 3: Tuesday 5:15 p.m.
- Tuesday May
22, 29, June 5, 12, 19, 26 - Click here to join the waitlist - SOLD OUT, Register for the Intro 2 Hockey Summer Camp
*NEW 12-WEEK OPTION for SPRING 2018*
COMBINED Sparty Learn to Skate & Intro 2 Hockey Program
With a combination of our sold out Sparty Learn to Skate and Intro 2 Hockey programs, players will receive instruction that will not only continue to develop their skating skills, but also introduce them to the game of hockey in a FUN and supportive environment!
- Players will rotate through stations designed and led by our Head of Hockey Development or Lead Hockey Instructor, and Mary Yarush, our Lead Figure Skating Instructor.
- Skating stations will feature progressive development on fundamental skating skills – forwards and backwards skating, stopping and tight turns, and more. Hockey-specific drills will teach the foundational skills for body positioning, puck control, stationary shooting, and passing.
- As a core feature of our Sparty Learn to Skate Program, participants will have the opportunity to skate with their friend Spartacat. He will visit the class once per season to demonstrate drills, assist participants, and, most of all, have fun!
- This 12-week program provides 50 minutes of skill development per class (plus an off-ice warm up).
Ease your child's transition between learning how to skate and progressing into hockey-specific development – register now for the COMBINED Sparty Learn to Skate & Intro 2 Hockey Program!
SPRING 2018 - LIMITED SPACES REMAIN
April 11, 18, 25, May 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, June 6, 13, 20, 27
- Combined Sparty Learn to Skate & Intro 2 Hockey Program
- 1:30 PM Session: $299 - Click here to register now - one spot left, pro-rated online
EQUIPMENT: This program requires full equipment to be provided by the parent/guardian. No child shall participate without: Hockey skates, CSA-approved helmet (with cage), neck guard, shoulder pads, elbow pads, hockey pants, jock or jill, shin pads, hockey gloves and a hockey stick.
SKATING REQUIREMENT: Participants MUST be able to stand and propel themselves around the ice as well as be able to fall down and get back up to a standing position without assistance. Contact [email protected] for assistance and inquiries.
Intro 2 Hockey Curriculum
|1||Hockey stance, balance, hand positioning & knee flexion||Stationary puck handling & control|
|2||Edges (Inside, outside, gliding edges), skating technique & stopping||Stationary shooting|
|3||Backwards stride, turns, balance & stopping||Stationary passing, puck control in a crowd|
|4||Tight turns, balance & stopping||Open ice puck handling & control|
|5||Backwards stride, edges (Inside, outside, gliding edges), tight turns||Puck control with turns|
|6||Edge control, backwards stride & stopping||Creativity & awareness with pucks|
|7||Tight turns, backwards stride & stopping||Creativity & dekes|
|8||Review of all skills||Review of all skills|
- Open to skaters ages 4 or older
- 3 year olds are also eligible, subject to review of skating abilities
All of our hockey programs require full equipment to be provided by the parent/guardian. No child shall participate without: Hockey skates, CSA-approved helmet (with cage), neck guard, shoulder pads, elbow pads, hockey pants, jock or jill, shin pads, hockey gloves and a hockey stick. Mouth guards are optional.
Please call 613 599 0222 or email [email protected] for more information regarding schedule. E-mails with scheduling and general information go out one week prior to the start date.
Refund Policy: Read our Refund & Cancellation Policy.